On July 15-16, COAA Chapter Leaders from around the country gathered at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) to discuss a variety of issues facing our COAA chapters. The meeting venue, the new UMBC Event Center, is a showpiece venue which is the home of the UMBC’s Athletic department, hosts sporting events and graduations, and has premium meeting space for events such as our chapter leaders retreat.
The 2-day retreat presented many opportunities, including:
- Relationship Building – meeting other chapter leaders face to face builds relationships within our industry, leading to increased dialog and collaboration between members and chapters
- Chapter Reports and Best Practices – sharing updates about how chapters approach events, membership growth, and succession planning was extremely beneficial to the group
- COAA National update – hearing from COAA leadership on where COAA has been, where its at, and where its going provided a framework and vision for our individual chapter goals
- Toolbox Resources – an overview and review of the substantial content that is at our fingertips, much of which is posted on the coaa.org website, is always helpful!
- Sponsorship strategies – discussion of how chapters approach sponsorship, the lifeblood of our chapter financial resources, exposed many areas of untapped potential
- FUN! – COAA leadership’s great sense of humor, intermixing serious subjects with lighthearted games and trivia, kept our spirits and energy high!
By the end of the event, our Florida Chapter leaders left with new relationships, best practices, and practical ideas to take our chapters to the next level. Being involved as a COAA volunteer has provided me and my organization with information, advice, and support in an open, reassuring environment from other professionals who face the same challenges we do. You too can gain these valuable networking benefits for yourself – All you have to do is Volunteer!
We’re looking forward to our continued growth and to the COAA national conference in Atlanta in November! See you there!